Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Cathlyn's understanding of religious allegory and allusions is amazing!

After you have read Grapes, please thoroughly read Cathlyn's post. Her knowledge of the bible has definitely enhanced her understanding of Grapes of Wrath. She has some brilliant points here (and they are beautifully supported.)

When author's use allusions they know that many people will not see the parallels so I ask you this question: Why use allusions if many people won't "get" them? Is this not a waste of paper? We are not all as knowledgeable as Cathlyn!

By the way ehP students the brand new copies of Grapes of Wrath are in. You can sign one out at any time now.

See you soon, people. (If any of you have time to help me put up an EhP display of your portfolio work, please drop by. I need someone with style, with pizazz, with a flare for the visual, with a stapler.)

1 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

But I have absolutely no formal biblical training and when I read the novel I just loved it. I had no clue that there were biblical parallels. Was Steinbeck casting his pearls before swine?

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home